Tuesday 29 July 2008

Is bebo.com for racism??


I have not used Bebo in a while but yesterday I logged on and had a message from
Toby. The message was really racist, abusive and offensive. So I decided to report the user to bebo. This is the message I got back:

"You recently reported abuse for member Toby. on July 29, 2008. The best thing for you to do is block this person from your profile. If you ignore this person chances are they will get bored and leave you alone. I have provided instructions below on how you can do this."

Then there was instructions on blocking someone.

Ignore them and they will go away?? It was not the fact that Toby got to me, (in his message he said I was a Pakistani lover but used racist words and also insulted many different races and cultures) The message from toby did not even offened me I just don't think this should go unreported.

As you can imagine I was quite annoyed with the reply so sent another message back

"Yesterday I reported a user who sent racist, abusive and ofensive message to me, I have just recived this reply from Bebo:

"You recently reported abuse for member Toby. on July 29, 2008. The best thing for you to do is block this person from your profile. If you ignore this person chances are they will get bored and leave you alone. I have provided instructions below on how you can do this."

So the best advice you can offer is to ignore it? it is now suitable that someone can be extremly racist and get away with it, the user's account is still active so he could do this again and again.

"If you ignore this person chances are they will get bored and leave you alone." It is not a matter of them leaving me alone the user can say anything he wants to me and I will not get annoyed but I do not find it suitable that your site takes racism lightly, if nothing is done about this I will report this site and take the matter further."

I thought now they would listen to me but I just got this reply
"Hello

Thank you for contacting Bebo.

I would like to look into y=this further, can you provide me the username of the account?

also the location of the racism, and the content if you can. I will need to see it before any action can be taken

I hope this helps.

Kindest Regards
Robert G."

I ignored his typo and went to copy and paste the message Toby. had sent me...Strange I didnt delete the message, checked my inbox,my trash nothing! It had just vanished. I sent the following reply:
"I have just checked my inbox and the email as "mysteriously" vanished since I reported it, I did not delete it and nothing is in my trash or inbox folders, I find this very suspicious on your half. The user who sent the message is http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=2296792476

I copied the entire message he sent in the first complaint I sent yesterday, that is is if that too as not "mysteriously" vanished "

Is Bebo racist? would they really go to lengths to delete my message after I said I would report them? Seems to me like who ever is in charge at Bebo is in favour of racism, until I get a reply and find out the action taken that will stay my opinion.

P.s. Toby. Is a racist emo i'm not condoning anyone send him the type of message he sent me in any way shape or form ;)

P.P.S. Bebo, Inc., 795 Folsom St, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA. If it was a homophobic message would the message had vanished under such circumstances?

No comments: